Glendalynn Dixon is my guest on Do Not Listen to This Podcast
- 00:00 – Introduction to community building concepts
- 00:26 – Meet Glendalynn Dixon, our expert community builder
- 01:10 – The dance of accepting compliments and their impact
- 02:47 – The nuanced nature of community and the power of intention
- 04:35 – The unique dynamics and value of small group communities
- 07:28 – Embracing diversity of thought within tight-knit circles
- 08:59 – Evolution of Glendalynn’s community involvement
- 10:52 – Fostering self-sustaining communities
- 13:39 – Delving into the world of niche communities on Substack and personal sites
- 17:39 – Inside Glendalynn’s personal website community
Join us as we delve into these rich topics with Glendalynn, whose experience and insights offer a roadmap for building communities that resonate on a deeper level.
Connect with Glendalynn:
- [Substack] Reflections on Horror: https://glendalynndixon.substack.com/
- [Website] https://www.glendalynndixon.com/
Timestamps: Included in the guide above for your convenience.
About the episode
Hey there, Internet wanderers! You’ve stumbled upon something you probably weren’t looking for, but here you are. And since you’re here, we’ve got a little secret to share with you. It’s a podcast episode that we’ve been told not to market, but we’re rebels, so here goes nothing.
Let’s cut to the chase: You know how everyone is always saying “build a community”? Well, we sat down with Glendalynn Dixon, who’s basically the Gandalf of community building, to unravel what that really means. Spoiler alert: It’s not about herding cats or collecting an army of mindless followers. It’s deeper, messier, and more rewarding than that.
In this “Don’t Listen to This” exclusive, Glendalynn spills the beans on what makes a community tick. From cozy coffee chats in small groups where everyone actually knows your name, to the sprawling digital landscapes where your voice can be heard above the noise (if you know how to tune the dial just right).
Here’s a taste of what you probably shouldn’t know:
- The Art of Not Trying Too Hard: Apparently, if you’re sweating over the number of likes, you’re doing it all wrong. Glendalynn talks about the zen of community building, where less is more, and intention is king.
- The Myth of Big Numbers: Turns out, having a smaller, engaged tribe is like having a secret superpower. Big numbers might look good on paper, but they won’t bring you the joy of a tightly-knit group that actually gets your weird jokes.
- The Evolution of a Community Whisperer: Glendalynn shares her journey from being the life of the online party to becoming the one who leaves the door ajar for others to shine. It’s about legacy, folks.
- Niche is the New Black: We dive into the labyrinth of creating niche communities where you can be your oddball self and find others who are equally, delightfully odd.
Now, if you’re rebellious enough, you might want to ignore our advice and listen to the podcast anyway. It’s packed with timestamps, so you can skip to the good parts (although we’re not saying which parts those are).
And if you’re feeling particularly defiant, you might even want to follow Glendalynn on her Substack or visit her website. We’ve been advised not to include links (because that would be too helpful), but a little bird might drop them in your lap if you’re paying attention.
Remember, you didn’t hear this from us. And whatever you do, don’t share this post. It’s our little secret, capisce?
#CommunityBuilding #Networking #Engagement #Podcast